Showing posts with label petitions. Show all posts
Showing posts with label petitions. Show all posts

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Jacqui Smith shoots us all in the foot again... over freedom of speech

Last month I tried to answer a question posed on a google search query (which strangely arrived on my blog), asking Why don't Gibraltarians want to be Spanish?.

In my rather long winded answer (nothing new there and it was an interesting question), I explained that amongst the reasons why I valued my British nationality and heritage was freedom of speech.

"I strongly value the long established British values of freedom, democracy, justice, freedom of speech, human rights and the embracing of mixed cultures, creeds and religions within our society."
All well and good and I hope you'll agree with me, quite as things should be. Except until today, when I was surprised to find out that our Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has decided, in her wisdom... to do away with the great tradition of tolerance and freedom of speech in Great Britain!

Yesterday, Jacqui Smith decided to publish a list of 16 people banned since October to "show the type of behavior Britain will not tolerate"!

This list, which includes people barred from entering the UK for fostering extremism or hatred, has been published for the first time ever in this country. Islamic extremists, white supremacists and a US radio host are among the 16 of 22 excluded in the five months to March to have been named by the Home Office.

According to the BBC, the UK has been able to ban people who promote hatred, terrorist violence or serious criminal activity since 2005.

Explaining her reasons for publishing this list, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said "coming to the UK should be a privilege" and I wouldn't disagree. But banning people, who have not committed any crime, purely because they hold views that most of us, I'm sure, disagree with?? That doesn't sound right to me!

Ms Smith said "the public interest was against naming" the remaining six, for example on the grounds it could reveal the type of information being held about them. So... that's 'innocent until proven guilty' out of the window too!

The Muslim Council of Britain says the government should not act against people, "whatever their views, unless they have broken the law". They've got a point... and I for one have always thought that is how our laws work!

'Against our values'

However, Ms Smith said granting free speech did not provide a licence to preach hatred and that those banned had "clearly overstepped the mark" with the attitudes they had expressed.

Maybe so... but again, that is no reason to break with our much valued tradition of tolerance in this country... or of course, the right to freedom of speech and ban people, who have not committed any crime... as yet. That's just plain wrong and totally contrary to our British values!

In any case, as in the US radio host, Michael Savage's case today, his real name is Michael Alan Weiner by the way... (I say nothing rolleyes) ... this idiot's views, who delights in taunting gays, environmentalists, Roman Catholics and Muslims, are now receiving widespread publicity across our media. Ms Smith's barring order, has given this pathetic racist a megaphone and allowed him a platform which he would never have had, had he been dealt with differently.

To his credit, Inayat Bunglawala, of the Muslim Council of Britain, told BBC Radio 5 Live that people should be free to enter the country, regardless of their views.
"If they step over the line and break the law, it's at that moment the law should be enacted, not beforehand.

If people are keeping their odious views to themselves, that's their business. We should not be in the business of policing people's minds.
Quite so Mr Bunglawala... that's exactly what I think too!

I believe the people of the United Kingdom are wise enough to be able to make up our own minds about this sort of claptrap from people like Savage. We would have maybe raised an eyebrow or two, when reading reports of his views, put him down immediately as another racist radical idiot... and promptly ignored him (maybe enjoyed a rant or two on our blogs too). Instead, thanks to the unwise Ms Smith... his views are reaching far and wide... and possibly into corners of this country, where unfortunately, they may be more welcome and fostered! So... well done Ms Smith!

By the way, you might be pleased to hear that Savage has said that the last time he was in Britain was about 20 years ago, and he has "no immediate plans to return"... so good bloody riddance I say!

But... this is yet another example of how this Minister and this Government, continue to erode our country's great traditions... and continues to shoot themselves in the foot with crass decisions and policies... one after another.

In today's Prime Minister's Questions (PMQs) Gordon Brown was actually accused by LibDem's leader Nick Clegg as "stupid", and added that the PM's recent speeches were "vacuous"!

The BBC's political correspondent Ben Wright said:
"Deference to the prime minister has never been a feature of the weekly Commons grilling but today's session was striking for the confidence with which the PM's political opponents were prepared to mock Gordon Brown."
It is clear to me, that Gordon Brown has lost any authority he ever had... aided and abetted by his Ministers... not least Jacqui Smith with her constant trip ups... and the 'mocking' blast by Hazel Blears at the weekend... about the "YouTube if you want to" editorial in the press.

Downing Street Petition

If you too are fed up with all this nonsense, you might like to give your support to this Downing Street petition asking Brown to resign. Here's your chance to ask him (and hopefully this useless Government) to go... NOW!

Oh and you'll be in good company... as over 52,000 people have already signed!

Jacqui Smith at the GrumpyOldTwat

Not that I condone much of what our eccentric and extremely irreverent blogging colleague often has to say (I do find him quite amusing at times though), but in Jacqui Smith's case... I do think the GrumpyOldTwat has got her number! I have to warn you though... this link is not for those of a sensitive disposition!! rolleyes

Jacqui Smith to be sued

As a footnote... not only is Ms Smith corroding our rights to freedom of speech... and handing Michael Savage a PR coup which he is relishing, as the Guardian said but it's also looking like it's going to cost her dearly!

Savage is now threatening to sue Smith ‑ who he repeatedly taunts as a witch and a lunatic in this radio clip – and says he wants top first amendment attorneys to represent him "in a major international case". He claims to have seven lawyers working on the case.

Again, quoting the Guardian, at the very least, Savage is milking his run-in with Smith for all it's worth. This is publicity that Savage, who was fired by MSNBC for telling a prank caller to "get Aids and die", can only dream of.

As I say, it looks like Smith has scored an own goal, the latest in a series of Labour self-inflicted wounds in recent weeks. Apart from threatening legal action, Savage is also urging his 10 million listeners to boycott the UK and to stop buying British goods.

Thanks a bunch Ms Smith!! D'uh!! twisted I hope Savage takes her to the cleaners... the dumb broad deserves it... oh and this time, unlike with her husband's porn account... she should pick up this damn bill... for legal costs and damages which are sure to come... personally!!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

BBC Panorama standing by struck off nurse Margaret Haywood

As you probably heard or read somewhere over the last week, BBC Panorama's undercover nurse, Margaret Haywood, lost her livelihood when she was struck off by the Nursing and Midwifery Council for breaching patient confidentiality.

In a follow up post last week I expressed concern and hoped that the BBC would not let Ms Haywood 'hang out to dry'.

I was therefore pleased to read today, a couple of follow up posts from the BBC, showing how they are supporting Ms Haywood.

I was also delighted to see A Gibo's Tale get a mention in despatches, on the BBC's own Panorama Blog, describing my blogs about Ms Haywood as "one blogger who has expressed indignation at the NMC's decision"... and I did too! They should have said I was bloody livid... not just indignant. That would have been more accurate! But... thanks for the mention Auntie Beeb... I am quite chuffed! biggrin

Today, BBC Panorama asks "What's next for the undercover nurse?"

Panorama explain that Ms Haywood, 58, is currently reviewing her appeal options with the support of her legal team and the Royal College of Nursing (RCN), who also last week set up a Petition in Support of Margaret Haywood. So far, as I write, 25,827 people have signed the petition!

The BBC add that "without her licence to practice, she has lost her position as a trainer of other nurses and carers".

This is the real worry for me and why I said I hope the BBC don't let her 'hang out to dry'.

Which is why I was particularly pleased to read that BBC Panorama report that she is being supported by the BBC and is working as a consultant to Panorama and to the rest of BBC News and Current Affairs on health issues, until her future becomes clearer. That's great to hear! cool

Ms Haywood said she knew the risk she was taking in deciding to film undercover for the July 2005 programme, but feels the decision to prevent her from working as a nurse after a career of more than 20 years was unduly harsh.

Ms Haywood admitted to the charge that she breached confidentiality, but argued that it was justified by an overreaching public interest.

"I didn't sort of take the decision lightly I did look into it, I did give it an awful lot of thought and I knew that my position would be compromised by doing it - but I think the public needed to be aware of what was going on on the ward."

Quite right Margaret... the public do need to be aware... and you did absolutely right in bringing this to the public's attention... and thousands of us are supporting your action!

Dr Peter Carter, Chief Executive of the RCN also agrees and said the union feels the punishment was "harsh and disproportionate and beyond the level of sanction" they expected.

You can support Margaret Haywood

RCN Petition in Support of Margaret Haywood > Support for whistleblowing nurse struck off by NMC @ GoPetitions

If you would like to support Margaret Haywood on Facebook, there are a number of Groups now set up. You can find them posted at this Facebook Group whose aim is to Reinstate Margaret Haywood.

If you want to let the NMC know how you feel you can do so by emailing this article to them - Just click on the 'SHARE' button below to email them - Copy these email addresses as they are (including the comma) and paste it into the email address window of the 'SHARE' email: fitness.to.practise@nmc-uk.org, communications@nmc-uk.org - You might like to add, as I did, that you think their decision is "appalling and shameful"! evil

Saturday, April 25, 2009

'Moody' encouragement for Brown... to Go Now!

Following my post last night telling Gordon Brown... For God's sake go... I thought I would give him a little 'moody' encouragement...



In just a little over 24 hours, the petition has reached 6,916 (as I write). Come Monday morning... when people start emailing it around offices, this figure will soon spiral into the tens of thousands!

If you haven't yet voted on the Downing Street online petition asking Brown to resign... here's your chance to ask him to go... NOW!

cool

Friday, April 24, 2009

Now you too can tell Brown... For God's sake go!

It has been said before and now you and I can say it... and tell Gordon Brown... for God's sake GO!

He never gave us the chance to elect him... and I know he'll have to go sooner or later. In any case, he does have to 'go to the country' (no I don't mean to hide in Southwold again) and call an election sometime between now and May 5th next year.

Frankly, this Government is in such a state (no pun intended) and the country in such a crisis that I really don't think there's any time to waste. So... it really would be best if Brown resigned sooner rather than later... and NOW would be good to my mind!

Many others agree with my train of thought and now someone has set up a Downing Street online petition asking the Prime Minister to resign... so here's our chance to ask him to go!

Not that he'll pay any attention I know... don't think I am kidding myself for one moment. He and his Government NEVER listen to anyone!

I'm also aware that these petitions never really achieve very much... as Guido also agrees, he never links to Downing Street online petitions "because they never achieve anything". But he added:

"However dozens of people have emailed about this petition. Guido has spoken to Civil Service types who confirm that under the rules of the petition service this petition is valid and permissable (sic) since it is non-partisan."

This petition has already attracted hundreds of petitioners in support, including yours truly (and am waiting for the 'Black Marias' to arrive any moment now). As I write, the petition has already reached 3,102!

Guido asks... Will a Million Voters Tell Gordon to Go? He thinks "this could be big, really big"... and I think so too... and if at the end of the day the petition manages to attract some headlines and make a point... then at least Brown will hear it... and hopefully get the point!

Over two million people watched Dan Hannan on YouTube crush Gordon in a speech when he said he was "pathologically incapable". I wasn't sure then... I am now!

Here's what Hannan said to Gordon at the time... see whether you too agree with him now:



If half of the people that watched Daniel Hannan on YouTube can be bothered to tell Gordon to go, it will be a huge symbolic protest against the unelected Prime Minister.

If you too now want Gordon to go... tell him so via his own website: Click here and vote!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Petitions set up in support of Margaret Haywood

There are now a number of petitions set up in support of Margaret Haywood, the 'whistleblowing' nurse who has been struck off so unfairly by the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

Here's a couple I have chosen to support.

The following Petition has been set up by the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) who have been providing legal representation for Margaret Haywood:

Petition in Support of Margaret Haywood > Support for whistleblowing nurse struck off by NMC @ GoPetitions

The petition reads:

"We, the undersigned, wish to show our support for nurse Margaret Haywood who raised issues of concern around poor patient care.

We believe that Margaret was justified in exposing the worrying conditions at her local hospital and that the NMC was wrong to strike her off the nursing register."


This Petition is to the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street website:

Petition for the Prime Minister to Intervene on behalf of Nurse Margaret Haywood @ Number10 > Prime Minister's Office

I have happily signed both petitions but I have to say I think the Prime Minister's e-Petition is a bit of a waste of time... as I doubt very much that Brown will be at all inclined to intervene in this matter... his Government is more intent on muzzling whistle blowers... not helping people in need!

Latest News on Margaret Haywoood

Ms Haywood from Liverpool, who worked as a nurse for 20 years and is now unemployed and disbarred from carying on employment as a Nurse by the NMC, is now taking advice from her professional body, the RCN, about challenging the ruling at the High Court.

Chris Cox, director of legal services at the Royal College of Nursing, said:

"The RCN has been providing legal representation for Margaret Haywood from the outset and is very surprised at the severity of the punishment dealt out by the NMC panel.

Our legal team are working with Margaret to explore the various legal options available to her in light of the judgment."

I wish them every success... and the sooner the better!

Today, I was also pleased to read that hundreds of nurses have contacted the Nursing and Midwifery Council to protest its decision to to ban Ms Haywood from the profession, amid fears that it will discourage other NHS whistleblowers from coming forward.

Yesterday, the NMC disclosed that it they had received over 400 emails and 200 telephone calls in support of Ms Haywood, with most of the complaints coming from other nurses.

I have visited many websites who have commented on this story over the last few days. It's quite amazing that I have yet to come across a comment in support of the NMC's decision... that is quite telling and just shows how out of step the NMC's ruling is with NHS staff and the public at large.

Here's one comment I came across, in the Nursing Times, which rather encapsulates NHS Staff (and the general public's) strong feelings in this matter:

"The health, safety, well being and care of patients is what is meant to concern us. This principle should over-ride any requirement to ask patients permission to record the lack of or poor quality of the care and treatment they are receiving.

After this foolish ruling nobody will feel inclined to raise concerns about any aspect of treatment and those who suffer will be the patients whose care is our number 1 concern!

Source: NMC defends decision to strike off undercover nurse Margaret Haywood. | News | Nursing Times

If you would like to support Margaret Haywood on Facebook, there are a number of Groups now set up. You can find them posted at this Facebook Group whose aim is to Reinstate Margaret Haywood.

If you want to let the NMC know how you feel you can do so by emailing this article to them - Just click on the 'SHARE' button below to email them - Copy these email addresses as they are (including the comma) and paste it into the email address window of the 'SHARE' email: fitness.to.practise@nmc-uk.org, communications@nmc-uk.org - You might like to add, as I did, that you think their decision is "appalling and shameful"! evil