Saturday, April 25, 2009

I take my hat off to... Frank Lampard... for standing up for himself!

The Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard angrily phoned a London Radio station to round on a DJ who said he was "scum" for splitting up with the mother of his two children!

Lampard said the LBC 97.3 DJ James O'Brien was an "idiot" for upsetting his family on the first anniversary of his mother's death.

He also rejected suggestions that he'd treated his former partner badly since they split.... and I take my hat off to him for having the courage to stand up for himself in the face of this type of unacceptable intrusion by broadcasters into a footballer's private life!

I'm no Chelsea supporter... but I've long been an admirer of Frank Lampard... an exceptional footballer, a great role model and example to all... of a consumate professional.

Like Ballack, his playing colleague at Chelsea, I can't believe Lampard missed the shortlist for the Professional Footballers' Association's player of the year award.

Lampard has played a key role in Chelsea's recent run of only one defeat in their last 13 matches.

He set up both goals as Chelsea beat Arsenal at Wembley on Saturday to reach the FA Cup final, and put in an inspirational performance in last week's dramatic 4-4 draw with Liverpool that saw Chelsea progress to the Champions League semi-finals.

Ballack, who plays alongside Lampard and Michael Essien in Chelsea's midfield, remains adamant the England international should have made the final six.

"It is easy to play with Frank because he is such a good player," Ballack explained.

"He knows what myself and Michael have to do and whether we should be in an offensive or defensive position.

I play a little bit behind him but I don't have to tell him what to do. He always does the right thing, depending on where myself and Essien are.

Frank is one of the best players in the world for sure and I don't think there are many players in the Premier League like him."

I couldn't agree more... and I take my hat off to him... Good on yer Frankie! cool

You can hear Lampard's phone call to LBC here:

0 comments: