Sunday, March 22, 2009

I take my hat off to... The England Women's Cricket World Cup Winners!

Tonight I'm taking my hat off to... the England Women's Cricket Team... who outclassed New Zealand to win the Women's World Cup with a thrilling four-wicket victory in Sydney yesterday.

An event... that remarkably, has gone largely unreported in the UK and sadly and very surprisingly to me, has not caught the headlines... well, not that I've noticed!

At least BBC Sport do mention it, buried deep in their sport's pages: BBC SPORT | Cricket | Women's cricket | World Cup joy for England women

Nicki Shaw, a late replacement for the injured Jenny Gunn, was the unlikely hero, claiming 4-34 as the Kiwis were dismissed for 166 in 47.2 overs.

Openers Sarah Taylor (39) and Caroline Atkins (40) calmly took England to within touching distance of the target.

England wobbled slightly - losing five wickets for 40 runs - but won with relative ease despite a nervy finish.

Well done girls... I take my hat off to you!! :)

You can read the full report here: BBC SPORT | Cricket | Women's cricket | World Cup joy for England women

0 comments: