Saturday, March 28, 2009

Twitter... the real world or a world for twits

I've been using Twitter for a while now. I started using it because I thought it would be a good way to let people know about my blog posts... get them noticed by as wide an audience as possible.

Having used it for a couple of months... I'm not that convinced of it's effectiveness to get one's message across. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder what all the fuss is about.

Here's how Twitter would like us to think about them:



So... Twitter 'rocks' eh? Hmmm...

Here's another view... the "twouble with Twitter"... as seen on Current.com:




Ha ha... that's a great video, very funny and well produced and one that I think hits the nail on the head... definitely about Twitter's superficiality!

I'm tending to be more inclined to this latter view. The 'twouble' with Twitter is... that one gets completely overwhelmed by the amount of 'Tweets'. The message... if ever there is one... tends to get lost in the morass of, often banal comment or completely uninteresting or unrelated 'news' that some sources spout off with at an amazing rate!

While Twitter can be fun, on a very superficial level and while it can be a way (a simple minded sort of way) to keep in touch with friends, family, etc., even receiving updates directly from (interesting?) sources as varied as No 10 Downing Street to Google Blogs or Stephen Fry... personally, I'm afraid I don't find it exactly 'rocks' for me.

I'm happy to continue to ride this trend though... till it fizzles out... as these things tend to do... and just dip in from time to time... but I won't take it too seriously... and it certainly isn't a good marketing tool... it's not a particularly effective way of getting one's message across!

You can of course, always follow me on Twitter... and make your own judgement! biggrin

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one.

Twatter . . . . the real world or a world for Twats!